Ross River is the home of the Ross River Dena Council. The community lies 360 kilometres northeast of Whitehorse near the junction of the Campbell Highway and the Canol Road. The area around Ross River is well known for its hunting and fishing resources.
Originally, First Nations people used the site as a seasonal camp and gathering place. In the early 1900s, prospecting and mining increased in the area, and a trading post was established nearby in 1903. In the early 1940s, the American army built the Canol Pipeline, from Norman Wells in the Northwest Territories to Whitehorse, and the accompanying Canol Road opened the Ross River area to overland traffic. Government offices were established in Ross River after the Second World War. In 1962, Ross River was relocated to its current site close to the Campbell Highway, across from the Campbell River.