Economic Activity and Development
Mayo’s present economy includes Government Services from the federal, territorial, First Nation and municipal governments; mining; construction; transportation; energy; and service sectors.
Mining activity in the region contributes to a greater demand for labour and services, and which also provides additional opportunities for the community and local businesses.
Recently, Yukon Energy invested in new hydro energy infrastructure linked to the Yukon grid, which contributes to Yukon’s energy needs, and provides opportunities for skilled labour in the energy field.
Improved availability of internet technology also opens up new opportunities for business creation and the opportunity to market Mayo’s attributes worldwide.
Na-Cho Nyäk Dun Development Corporation
Develops the economic and employment opportunities of the First Nation of Na-Cho Nyäk Dun and its citizens
There are opportunities for community economic diversification in four main areas:
- Tourism industry
- Expanding the local service sector
- Using local construction projects as local employment and training opportunities
- Supporting mineral exploration and development
For business investors, Mayo offers:
- Supportive, and responsive First Nations and municipal government
- Northern expertise in mining, telecommunications, construction and tourism
- Excellent communications and technology infrastructure including cell phone service and high speed internet access
- Excellent funding and incentive programs
- Exceptional landscape, wildlife and tourism opportunities
Government of Yukon Socio-economic Web Portal
Provides census information on economic development.
- Government of Yukon Departments
List of Government of Yukon Departments.
- Government of Yukon Programs and Services
List of programs and services offered to Yukon businesses and residents.
- Yukon Department of Economic Development
List of funding and programs that support Yukon economic development.
- Procurement Strategy for Aboriginal Businesses (PSAB)
Works to assist Aboriginal firms in contracting with all federal government departments and agencies and assists Aboriginal businesses gain access to the overall procurement process.
- Yukon Chamber of Commerce
Provides advocacy and representation on issues affecting business.
- Yukon Business Directory
Directory of Yukon businesses
- Yukon Employment Central
Provides job boards, employment counseling, workshops and more.
- Government Tenders
Provides information about currently advertised public tenders as well as recently awarded public tenders and the successful contractor.
- Yukon Workfutures
Guide to work opportunities in the territory that provides information on the labour market, working conditions, education, and employment prospects.
Online employment resource for employers and job seekers, providing information on current job listings, the Yukon labour market, career planning, education, and training.
What are the Facts?